Description of the organisation
Hysytech srl is a Chemical Engineering Company established on 2003, in Torino, Italy. Today it is a pioneer company in the field of process engineering and, in particular, in the design and construction of turn-key plants for fuel chemical processing, energy production and environmental treatment. Hysytech srl provides specialized engineering solutions and services on chemical processing, energy, power generation and environmental treatment. Hysytech is always looking to develop and provide new technology to clients on short and medium-term opportunities through continuous work and challenging development. Since its inception in 2003, the company has based its business model on innovation and expertise in finding innovative solutions for chemical processing and energy generation. The proposed project is a natural continuation of the experience and capability of Hysytech.
Hysytech has 4 different business areas in order of revenues share:
- Construction of turn-key industrial plants (EPC and EPCM)
- Applied R&D
- Consultancy (technical and financial)
Hysytech’s experience and technological background covers several fields: from process synthesis to industrial catalysis, from process optimization for renewable energy production to environmental treatment. Thanks to several years experience of its engineers as European researchers, Hysytech srl sets its activity on technological transfer from university to industries, producing day by day R&D for industrial customers and research centers.
Its main activities refer to chemical engineering, above all chemical plants, industrial catalysis, and energy production/transformation, with a special focus on hydrogen production from hydrocarbons, fuel cell systems and production/use of renewable energies such as biofuels (bioethanol, biomasses and biodiesel), wind and photovoltaic energy. In the hydrogen field, Hysytech srl is specialized in fuel processing (of natural gas, LPG, gasoline and biodiesel) and realization of test benches, for low, medium and high temperature fuel cells (PEM, DMFC, AFC, MCFC and SOFC).
In order to be able to offer specialised service, Hysytech makes a continuous effort to increase the proprietary know-how and technical expertise. Almost 30% of the revenues are invested every year in internal technology developments. After more than ten years passed pursuing the reinvestment strategy there are some success cases (in term of return of investment) to be mentioned. The first relevant investment was related to proprietary fuel processing technology for fuel cells, covered by 3 PCT patents. The technology was licensed to two customers and today HST is in the early stage of industrial production (1000 unit/year capacity). In the field of reforming and fuel cell-related processes Hysytech srl supplied the group CRE3 (Politecnico di Torino) prototypes in some EU research projects: PROFUEL (On-board gasoline PROcessor for FUEL-cell vehicle application); MINIREF (MINIatuRisEd gasoline Fuel processor for fuel cell vehicle applications); BIOFEAT (Biodiesel Fuel Processor for a Fuel Cell Auxiliary Power Unit for a Vehicle); FlameSOFC (Fuel Flexible, Air-regulated, Modular and Electrically Integrated SOFC-System); FP7-FCH-JU-2012 – BIOROBUR (Biogas robust processing with combined catalytic reformer and trap).
Another significant technology development was accomplished in 2014 with the installation and operation of a proprietary high efficiency biomethane production plant (first in Italy, with all environmental permits granted) from municipal waste digestion and landfill biogas. The plant is top of the class as far as energy efficiency and product quality specification are concerned.
In the field of electrochemistry the company has developed an electrolysis technology based on polimeric membranes for high pressure operation and is developing a special application of a device applicable to liquid electrolyte electrochemical cells (such as alkaline electrolyser and fuel cells) to increase the conversion efficiency. HST has acquired and developed a PCT/European Patent on Electrochemical Thermodynamo about high efficiency (low capital and low operative cost) electrodes for water electrolysis to produce hydrogen gas;
HST is member of the FCH JTI NEW-IG. The company produces and sells hydrogen production systems based on patents as WO Patent WO/2005/117,176 by Antonini et al.; PCT/EP2004/051207 by Antonini et al., etc.
Moreover the company has been partner in several EU research projects, two of them are focused on photo-electrochemical cells (SOLHYDROMICS, ARTIPHYCTION). HST's duty was the the design and manufacturing of first of a kind prototypes, with the target of taking out from the lab the technology to put it in real application environment.
Another field of own development is the pyrolysis and gasification of industrial wastes. HST's gasification technology aims at small scale plants with economic sustainability through conscious design of a robust industrial product, able to overcome the defects of the state of the art technologies.
Each staff member own specific professional skills built-up from direct experience on the field which makes HST a polyvalent and flexible resource. HST’s strength lies on the capability of developing non “off-the-shelf” solutions for the customer’s demanding needs. Hysytech srl plays a strategic role for companies on the manufacturing and services business by bringing them a dynamic working resource to meet and develop the world’s newest technologies.
Hysytech srl is a core technology developer for reformers, fuel cells and BOP components, service supplier in research, engineering, production and stationary&dynamic application level; supplier of components, chemical reactors, pilot plants and bench test.
Relevant patents owned by HST:
- PCT/IT2005/000297 C.Riccardi,, M.Antonini, P.Fracas, (2005) Methode for making component for fuel cells;
- PCT/WO2004/113590 A2, M.Melosi (2004) Electrochemical thermodynamo;
- PCT/IT2009/000600, Antonini M., Saldivia A., Saracco G., Farina C., Solaro S., Mori M., Anastasi M. (2009) Endothermic reaction unit and steam reforming device comprising this reaction unit.;
- PCT/IT2009/000601Antonini M., Saldivia A., Saracco G., Farina C., Solaro S., Mori M., Anastasi M.. (2009) Method and device for preparing a homogeneous gaseous mixture from a flow of gas and from a flow of liquid.;
- PCT/IT2009/000599, Antonini M., Saldivia A., Saracco G., Farina C., Solaro S., Mori M., Anastasi M. (2009) Burner and combustion device comprising said burner.
Massimiliano Antonini (male): graduated in Chemical Engineering at Politecnico di Torino where he is currently a consultant. He is CEO/President and co-founder of Hysytech srl since 2003. He is author of a European patent (2004) on a method to build PEM fuel cells components via plasma treatment and co-author of three
PCT patents on hydrocarbons reforming and fuel processing. He has been scientific involved in several EU projects (SYLOC-DEXA, BIOFEAT, PROFUEL, HyTRAN, MOREPOWER; FLEXHEAT, ATLANTIS, MC-WAP, PEMTOOL, FLAMESOFC, SOLHYDROMICS, ARTIPHYCTION, BIOROBUR).
- Andres Saldivia (male): graduated in Chemical Engineering at Universidad Central de Venezuela and at Politecnico di Torino (double degree). He was assistant professor (ad-honorem) of Mass transfer phenomena and Thermodynamics for chemical engineers at Universidad Central de Venezuela. He has been scientific involved in several EU projects (MC-WAP, PEMTOOL, FLAMESOFC, SOLHYDROMICS, ARTIPHYCTION, BIOROBUR).
- Simone Solaro (male): graduated in Chemical Engineering at Politecnico di Torino where he has been consultant in chemical process engineering and lab test management for 7 years. He is an active partner of Hysytech srl since 2004, leading engineering purchase department and is co-author of three PCT patent pending on hydrocarbons reforming and fuel processing. He has been scientific and administrative involved in several EU projects (ART-DEXA, CATATRAP, BIOFEAT, PROFUEL, HyTRAN, MOREPOWER; FLEXHEAT, MC-WAP, PEMTOOL; FLAMESOFC, SOLHYDROMICS, ARTIPHYCTION, BIOROBUR).